Maybe you’re a young person who is just starting to experience psychic abilities. Maybe you’re older but you “shut down” your gifts long ago and are now trying to regain them. Or perhaps you’ve been working at your abilities for a while now and have started to gain control and are wondering what the next steps are to take your skills to an advanced level.
If you’re at that beginning stage, and you’ve had paranormal or supernatural experiences but they tend to happen randomly and you don’t have that control, I invite you to watch the video I created below:
That video is also part of a larger playlist of videos on how to develop psychic or mediumship abilities. I’ve been putting up a new video once per month and currently have a whole curriculum planned out that I will eventually get through. Just watching any two of the videos on that playlist will help you to level-up considerably.
But maybe you’ve been at it for a few years now, have confidence in your abilities, and want to take it to the next level. Let’s talk about what next steps look like for you.
The thing I’ve realized is that developing and expanding these gifts is very much like going back to school, so I’m going to be using College and Academic terms throughout the rest of this article. Just like when one is in College, you have the ability to design your gifts. You can choose a Major and a Minor, a specific “focus” or “concentration”, or even this class versus that class. You get to choose what you want your gift to look like.
Maybe you’re like me and there were certain abilities that you were born with. I was always able to see spirits for as long as I can remember. I have done 0% to try to work on or improve that gift. It came to me fully complete. I also had some amount of premonition ability, but I’ve actively developed it in order to improve and refine it. That is something that has taken me a number of years.
One thing that was missing however was the ability to hear spirits, or clairaudience. Even though I could see them, including any visions they wanted to show me, there was no audio whatsoever. If you’ve ever watched a TV show or movie on mute, you know that you can still mostly figure out what the plot is, but you miss the details and you may even make incorrect assumptions about what’s going on.
So I knew that if I wanted to develop as a functioning medium, I needed to add that on. It’s taken many years and the audio will still go silent if I’m nervous or there’s a lot of pressure. However I can now say with certainty that you can develop non-existent abilities, but it will take 5-10 years to do so. The good news is that it does seem like every gift you develop will carry over into your next life as a “natural gift”, but you do have to put in the work now.
Each gift you add on or try to develop is like getting an additional Masters Degree. It takes a lot of work and a lot of time. The way I’ve been doing it is by following these core steps:
- Intention: Simply put, you’re putting it out there into the Universe that you would like to develop this ability. When you realize that we are all tapped into the same divine source, that we are all truly connected, then you understand that there are no barriers preventing you from developing any psychic ability you choose. All the Universe asks of us is that we give it explicit permission and that we really mean it. The only thing that I would see as a true “block” would be if you’re someone that doesn’t have a good track record with discipline or sticking with things. I’ve found that “discipline” is much easier if you truly have a passion for the subject at hand. You need to be passionate about this to succeed.
- Focus: If you’re experienced with Law of Attraction practices, that is going to be very useful here. You will need that same dedication to a daily practice whereby you are manifesting or “willing” the ability into your existence. This involves daily meditation, visualizing yourself successfully using the ability, and reading posts like this one as part of your “studying”. Immersing yourself in the subject is helpful.
- Allowing: This one is going to sound obvious, but you need to “allow” the ability to develop. Very early on in this process, you will start to get little sparks of your new ability. How you respond to these sparks is crucial to how quickly you will advance. If you allow the sparks to happen, they will multiple into even bigger and more frequent sparks. If however you get freaked out by the experience of briefly having your ability, it will get shut down and it will be some time until you have that spark again. Some amount of freaking out is par for the course. Going back to my example of developing clairaudience, I was used to seeing ghosts but was not used to hearing them. One day I heard an old man say “Hey you!” behind me. I turned around and sure enough there was the spirit looking for help to be crossed over. I’m used to the spirits approaching me from the front and waiting for me to notice them. Having a spirit come up behind me and call out to me like I’m a waitress just did not feel okay. My first thought was “I don’t like this. I’m not okay with this”. But that odd feeling is part of the process and you have to progress past feelings of initial uneasiness in order to obtain any kind of mastery.
- Practice: Once you have those larger sparks of ability happening, you need to engage with them and invite them in by practicing with them. Now that I could hear spirits, I wanted to see if I could get names and then verify details by checking with death records and whatnot. I asked my Spirit Guides to send a local spirit over who was willing to help me practice. The spirit materialized and then we had a conversation. And yes, he gave me his name. Afterwards, I google-searched the name and sure enough the details matched. It’s really cool when this happens, but don’t expect to get it right the first time. Keep practicing and like developing any skill, you will get better and more accurate with time.
- Building Confidence: There is a certain amount of comfort when you are just practicing by yourself versus when you are reading for other people or even paying clients. Putting your abilities out there to be judged by others is like being naked in front of people. If you give them a name or a date, you’re either going to be right or wrong and it’s anxiety-provoking to be so exposed like that. Anxiety will shut-down your abilities. You have to be willing to say weird things to people and risk being seen as a fraud or a mad-woman. Scary stuff. The only cure for this is to build up your confidence and that takes time and practice. Fortunately you can give away free readings online anonymously and that’s a great way to do it. And remember, even so, the first few times you do it it’s going to go terrible. That’s just part of the process.
All this being said, life is short. Time is limited. You only have so much time to develop these abilities. For that reason, I really recommend that you create a game plan with this. You can do one thing really well, or you can try to master everything under the sun and have “meh” results with each of them. Ask yourself: What really excites you, and how much are you willing to sacrifice in order to get it.
Back when I was living in Boston there was a really active Swing Dancing scene there. My friend took me to one of the dances and I was just blown away. Honestly it was impossible to watch these talented dancers and not think “That’s who I want to be!” My friend then explained to me that for those dancers, dancing is all they do. It’s their hobby, it’s their social life, it’s all they think about, it’s their whole life. Some even make a career out of it just so they can have that 40+ hours a week to work on it.
This is going to be true with anyone you see whose achieved mastery. That talented artist? Art is their whole life and they do it for hours a day. That really beautiful and fit person? Fitness and beauty is their whole life. Those talented psychics that you really admire? It’s true for them also.
Going back to what I said; life is short and you only have so much time. There’s only so much you can accomplish in a day or a lifetime. We are called to make sacrifices in order to develop these gifts. It is something to be aware of as you progress and carefully choose what you wish to develop. For me, what I’m currently trying to work on is how to communicate with other people’s Spirit Guides. I feel like that’s something that would be really healing and could really help people. After that though, I think that’s going to be it for me. I’ll just work on continuously utilizing and sharpening my current abilities. And I feel like that’s okay. You don’t have to do and be everything to everyone.
So how far do you want to take your abilities? What would you like the end game to be in this lifetime? Anything is possible, but make sure you are still leaving enough time to have a balanced life.