Summer Squash has got to be the most bountiful vegetable you can grow in the garden. You want to eat it all and not let it go to waste, but then there’s the issue of figuring out what to do with it all!
This grilled squash recipe is simple, easy, and a great cure for boring run-of-the-mill summer squash recipes. If you lack a grill, this recipe can easily be altered for stovetop cooking in a cast iron pan or even roasted in the oven!
- 1 large summer squash or 2 small ones
- 1/4 cup Zaatar spice mix
- 3 tablespoons good quality olive oil
- Lemon juice
- Flake salt to taste
- Slice the summer squash in half vertically and scoop out the seedy part with a spoon.
- Slice the squash into spears. Mine were a little bigger than the thickness of dill pickle spears.
- Mix the Zaatar spice with the olive oil in a bowl and use a pastry brush to brush the oil mixture on all sides of your squash spear.
- Add your coated spears to the grill and rotate after a couple minutes so that you evenly grill all sides. You want a bit of char on the squash.
- Once the spears are almost done, squirt each spear with lemon juice.
- Remove from the grill and sprinkle with flake salt. Enjoy immediately!