So I thought to myself “Hmm.. what would happen if I combined all of my husband’s favorite foods together?” and I got this! This is a variation of the classic British steak & ale pie. It is a savory pie made with a very flaky short crust and comes together easily. If you’re not a broccoli fan, feel free to substitute with chopped green beans or even kale!
Pie Crust Ingredients
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup (12 tablespoons) vegan butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt)
- 6 tablespoons cold water
Cheese sauce ingredients
- 1 cup raw unsalted cashews soaked in water for two hours
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3/4 cup beer (not a weird flavor…)
- 1 tablespoon miso paste (I used white miso because that’s what I had on hand, but brown miso will work as well)
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Pie Filling Ingredients
- 10oz frozen bag of Beyond Steak
- Roughly 2 cups of small broccoli florets
- Soak cashews in water for 2 hours
- Preheat oven to 350 Fahrenheit
- Make the pie crust by combining the flour, salt, and butter. The flour and butter will look like like pea-sized crumbles.
- Add 6 Tb cold water and form into two smooth balls of dough. Place in a bowl and cover with a clean dish towel. Chill in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- Make the cheese sauce! Drain the cashews and place them and all other cheese sauce ingredients in a high powered blender. Blend until you have a smooth cheesy sauce.
- Butter the inside of your pie plate. Roll out one of your dough balls and line the inside of your pie plate with it. Add your filling ingredients plus the cheese sauce to your pie.
- Roll out the second ball of dough and form the top of your pie. Crimp the edges together.
- Bake in your oven for 50-55 minutes until the top is golden brown.